Monday, April 13, 2009

A little more Jacques

I don't want to overdo this, because on one level, it's just a hockey coach and there are a million hockey coaches. But as I said in the previous post, I really believe Jacques was special, and he proved it again today at his farewell press conference. As many of you know, the Wild markets itself as "The Team of 18,000" and constantily tries to reinforce the bonds between the fans and the team. Today, when Jacques could have spent time talking about his accomplishments, he found time instead to say this: (And it's even more fun if you can read it while hearing Jacques' unique style of broken English in your head)

“The most important are the fans. Fans in Minnesota, you guys are unbelievable. You start a new franchise – we travel a bit and go into other cities. And you know guys are playing hockey there and you look at the crowds, a lot of nights its half full. And we come here and you people came in game after game – exhibition games – for eight years it was packed. And you know it’s the best environment that we could get as coaches, as players and we got that here. And the lifestyle that we had here is – I feel that it was really close to Montreal in certain ways. And I felt really at home here and I don’t want to get into this (meaning he was getting a little emotional there). I just want to thank you again because I really felt your support. Thank you.”

No, coach, thank YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment